Thursday, February 13, 2014

Laundry Detergent

This is totally off the topic of health and fitness, but I wanted to share anyway (it is always good to have household tips). 

Does anyone else out there make their own laundry detergent?

I started making my own about 4 years ago, and I will NEVER go back!! I spend about $10 for all of the ingredients I need to make laundry detergent for an entire year. I am sharing the liquid laundry detergent recipe that I use, but there are tons available out there (for both liquid and powder detergents). When I make the recipe below, one batch lasts about 4-5 months for this family of 6. Oh, and we have a HE front loader
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ingredients:
-1 Fels Naptha soap bar (any bar soap will work, so if you have a scent preference, use your favorite)
-1 cup washing soda
-1/2 cup borax

Instructions:
Grate the soap bar into a small saucepan. Cover with hot water. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring continually, until the soap completely dissolves.

Put washing soda and borax in a 5-gallon bucket. Pour in the hot, melted soap mixture. Stir well, until all the powder is dissolved. Fill the bucket to the top with more hot tap water. Stir, cover securely, and let set overnight. The next morning, stir the mixture. Mix equal amounts of soap concentrate and water in a smaller laundry-detergent dispenser or container. Shake before using.

For top-loading machines: Use 1 cup of the soap mixture per load.

For front-loading machines: Use 1/2 cup per load.

No comments:

Post a Comment