Friday, February 21, 2014

Baked Tempeh

I just spent the past 21 Days doing Beachbody's Ultimate Reset.  More details and results to come in a later post.  The Ultimate Reset I am doing is taking me into the world of Vegan foods because they are so good for your system...and I kinda like it.  I am so new to this vegetarian/vegan stuff. I am a girl who definitely likes her steak and chicken!  This program gave me the opportunity to try tempeh. Tempeh is made from cooked and slightly fermented soybeans and formed into a patty, similar to a very firm veggie burger (I know that SOUNDS gross). You can find tempeh in the refrigerated vegan/organic section of your grocery, next to the tofu. I made mine using the recipe below, and it gave the tempeh a bacon like flavor. I used the tempeh in my Nori rolls (another recipe from the reset), but it is also amazing by itself!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Photo: I am so new to this vegetarian/vegan stuff.  I am a girl who definitely likes her steak and chicken!  However, the Ultimate Reset I am doing is taking me into the world of Vegan foods because they are so good for your system...and I kinda like it.  Yesterday, I had the opportunity to try tempeh.  Tempeh is made from cooked and slightly fermented soybeans and formed into a patty, similar to a very firm veggie burger (I know that SOUNDS gross).  You can find tempeh in the refrigerated vegan/organic section of your grocery, next to the tofu.  I made mine using the recipe below, and it gave the tempeh a bacon like flavor.  I used the tempeh in my Nori rolls, but it would be amazing by itself....maybe with eggs for breakfast :)  YUMMY!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baked Tempeh
Ingredients:
    2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
    2 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
    1½ tsp. sesame oil
    1½ tsp. 100% pure organic maple syrup
    ½ clove garlic, chopped
    4 oz. tempeh, cut into ½-inch strips

Directions:
    Combine vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos, oil, maple syrup, and garlic in a small bowl; mix well.  Place marinade in a shallow dish; place tempeh in dish and turn several times to coat well on all sides. Marinate for 1 hour, covered, in refrigerator, turning once after 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350° F.  Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until golden brown.

Nutrition:
    Calories: 319
    Total Fat: 16 g
    Saturated Fat: 3 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 1,480 mg
    Carbohydrate: 20 g
    Fiber: 3 g
    Sugar: 7 g
    Protein: 26 g
Baked Tempeh
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
1½ tsp. sesame oil
1½ tsp. 100% pure organic maple syrup
½ clove garlic, chopped
4 oz. tempeh, cut into ½-inch strips

Directions:
Combine vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos, oil, maple syrup, and garlic in a small bowl; mix well. Place marinade in a shallow dish; place tempeh in dish and turn several times to coat well on all sides. Marinate for 1 hour, covered, in refrigerator, turning once after 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until golden brown.

Nutrition:
Calories: 319
Total Fat: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 1,480 mg
Carbohydrate: 20 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g
Protein: 26 g


#bakedtempeh #vegan #healthyeating #ultimatereset

No comments:

Post a Comment