Friday, January 31, 2014

How can you tell if you are making progress?

So you are working out and you are eating right.  What indicators can your body give you that you are making progress?

1. Weight - If you are dropping pounds, that can be VERY motivating.  The FIRST place that most people look for progress in by checking the numbers on the scale.  The reality is that unless you have A LOT of weight to lose, you may not see much progress on the scale.  That can make a person pretty frustrated and willing to give up....I know, because I have been there.




2. Inches - The next best place to see if you are making progress is by taking your measurements.  When you do a moderate to intense workout program, it is likely that you be building muscle.  Muscle weight MORE than fat, but takes up less space.  If the numbers on the scale aren't moving or even start creeping up, but you are doing everything right, then TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS!  it is likely that you have lost inches, and didn't even know it.  Unless you are a male or taking supplements, muscle tends to lean out and NOT bulk up with exercise and weight training.  Your body may be getting leaner, even though you are not losing weight.  Take your measurements NOW, so you can keep a good track of your progress.  I track my chest, waist, hips, arms and thighs.  Need help with how to take good measurements, check out this video link http://bcove.me/4cny54ba.  

3. Energy - Something as simple as "feeling" better can be a great indicator of progress.  Having more energy, feeling more rested and being positive about life are great for your body!

4. Compliments - I know, it is subjective.  However, I always feel so much more motivated when people pay me a compliment.   There have been MANY times, where I have gained a pound or two, and my measurements haven't changed, and my husband turns to me and says, "You know, you are really looking good.  I am so proud of you for all of your progress." Or perhaps, someone tells you that "You look fantastic! What have you been doing?"

 ~~~~~

Photo challenge DAY 1 -  send me a selfie (self photo)  melissa.blair27@gmail.com.  I will post the collage tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment